3DS Max Hot Box
There are many things I like and dislike about many software packages, one thing I do like is Maya’s hot box. Over the years I have often thought it would be great to have a hot box style interface for max. Well lately two things have happened. First I have had some spare time up my sleeve which is very rare. Secondly I got inspired by a video on Script Spot (check it out here) that I thought would solve my hot box lust. As it turned out the project sounds like it is a quite a while off.
So I got to work on my own version. At this stage I have just replicated the functionality that was in the video but I have also built an easily expandable framework. The GUI is created entirely on fly dynamically, I am currently adding support for fly out menus. Being that it is all dynamic it will be easy to customise the layouts and functionality in the future. I am unsure whether or not to save the configurations in XML or just write maxscript to a file.
I would love to here what you all think and if you have any ideas on how this type of interface can be utilised in max then please let me know. I have been using it in its current form and have found it quite useful.
You can download the script below:
Please remember this is beta software. Do not be surprised if there are any bugs. Please let me know any issues you do run into.
Why is the script encrypted? Well first off I will be keeping the script free. In time I will make the source available when development has progressed.
- 07/09/2010 – New version available it fixes an issue that Max 2011. Users have reported a script error which is raised when trying to run it. This has now been fixed.
- 31/08/2010 – I have optimised the script and gained more performance. It now shows and hides very quickly without any black ghosting taking place.
- 31/08/2010 – User reported seeing the interface in black before it moved to the cursor. This has now been fixed. Users may still see some black the first time the hotbox is opened, after that it should be fine. I have also optimised the script so it should show faster.
- 30/08/2010 – Added a new version label to the UI. Fixed a couple of new bugs.
- 30/08/2010 – The download is now version 0.04. I have fixed a bug where the UI controls would become unresponsive. I also added some buttons to the center of UI for switching view.